Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Battery Point Lighthouse Keeper's Log


Teare had some cards to mail so she walked to the car and drove to the Post Office.  When she returned, we had breakfast together.  It was a misty, cool, overcast morning but it was not fogged in.  I was hoping for some sunshine so the grass would dry, as I wanted to get some yard work done.  To bide my time, I raked the gravel walks and did some weeding by hand.  I filled the ATV, lawn mower, and weed whacker with gas.  It was still a little damp, but I started mowing since I wanted to cut the grass on the entire property.  I started with the lower sections and the big fenced-in area.  How often are you mowing on a cliff overlooking the ocean?



Pelicans flying at eye level


This work took me up to lunch.  After lunch, I mowed the upper areas and refilled the mower with gas for the next time.  Once again, I trimmed every nook and cranny in the property.  There was a lot to be done on the lower hillside.  Since some clippings fell on the  paved areas, I grabbed a push broom and a straw broom and made my way down the walk.  By the time I finished, it was late afternoon.  

We had a variety of visitors once the tidal basin water receded.  One nice couple was from Kansas and gave me some tips on things to see when we make our way home through their state.  There were two young ladies from the Portland area (by way of New Jersey), who were enamored with the lighthouse.  I wanted to enhance their experience, so I invited them to feed the gulls with me.  I explained that we feed the gulls so they continue to do their important work, which is to chase other gulls away and keep bird waste down on the rock.  I told them how Fred shadows me when I do my chores.  They really seemed to enjoy hearing these tidbits, and took several photos of Fred and Janice.



The celebrities of the rock


We had invited Karen and Steve Betlejewcki over for dinner, so Teare was busy preparing a meal.    Karen works at the Del Norte Historical Society and is the person who oversees our merchandise and sales in the gift shop.  Teare made a blackberry cobbler from the last of the blackberries which were given to us by a visitor. We had a nice meal and visit.  There was a nice sunset, which we all enjoyed after dinner.



Teare's delicious blackberry cobbler








Afterward, we cleaned up and are both ready for a quiet end to a busy day!

We hope you are enjoying the blog!  Only three days remain.  We'll check back with you tomorrow!


This is Teare and Bill signing off from Battery Point Lighthouse, surrounded by calm seas.





No comments:

Post a Comment