Friday, September 23, 2022

Friday, September 23, 2022

Battery Point Lighthouse Keeper's Log


Started the day with my usual morning chores.  The gulls did not swoop in and gobble their food like normal.  While I did not realize this, they knew people were coming up the walk already.

It was a very foggy beginning to the day!  After breakfast and a nice hot cup of coffee, I ventured down the walk to sweep the rocks, shells, and seaweed off the lower portion.  





Look who's keeping me company while I do my chores!
Also, note the waves washing over the tidal basin.


Next, I raked gravel out of the grass and smoothed it out in other areas.  I cleared small stones off the tops of the walkway steps to minimize slip and fall potential.  The skies were gradually clearing as I made my way back to the lighthouse for lunch.  Teare had the dehumidifier going to try to get some of the moisture out of the upstairs rooms.




After lunch, I cleaned up and prepared the lighthouse for tours.  I like to turn on some of the old kerosine lamps that have been converted to electric for the tours, as I believe they add charm and atmosphere.  Millie and Cary arrived and we held tours from 2:30-4:00.  We had 35 guests and raised $211.72 in donations and sales.

We had a little time after our last tour and before the next tide influx, so we went out to dinner with Cary and Millie at the Chart Room Seafood Restaurant.  



Millie, Teare, me, and Cary at the Chart Room

We had a nice visit and meal.  We made it back before the water's return! 



 A happy Teare with dry feet!


Here's what the lighthouse looks like from the other side of the basin:




Teare balanced the gift shop drawer and now our day is drawing to a close.

We are now down to one week remaining on the rock....perhaps less with good behavior...


We wish everyone a good night.

Bill and Teare signing off from Battery Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment