Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Battery Point Lighthouse Keeper's Log


Every morning I follow a certain flow.  I liken it to a farmer who has animals to feed and regular morning chores.  Here's my routine: disarm the security alarm; put up the flag; put the coffee and tea on; feed the gulls; sweep the walk; then come inside for breakfast.  The sweeping seems to give me a better appetite.  

After breakfast, I trimmed the entire property.  Next, I swept the clippings from the concrete part of the walk.  It was sunny and comfortable with a light sweatshirt.  It was a pleasure to be outside.  

Teare was busy inside as she swept the entire downstairs.

Teare noticed the clouds on the horizon resembled mountains.  With a mountain range behind us, we had the illusion of being inside a ring of mountains!



Clouds that look like mountains


I met a couple with their young son from Redding, California.  They came across in their bare feet and were wet up to their calves.  I told them about the new trail in the nearby redwood forest.  They were going to head straight there and then back to Redding for their son's football practice.  Apparently, he is the star running back.  Their team is 4-0 and tomorrow they play another team which is also 4-0.  Sports are great!  

We conducted tours from 2-3:30.  A gentleman and his wife were in one of our tours from Florence, Oregon.  During the parlor tour, he informed me he had worked at the Haceta Head Lighthouse for 14 years!  The Haceta Head lighthouse is absolutely beautiful and in a gorgeous setting in the coastal town of Florence.  He and his wife were both very knowledgeable about lighthouses.  They stayed after the tour and visited with us.  We had 32 guests and collected $251.34 in donations and sales.

Afterward, we had a short FaceTime video chat with Betsy, Edison, and Calvin.  

After dinner, Teare made a small batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Fresh out of the oven with a glass of cold milk...yum! 



This is the sunset from our 2nd story bathroom


I fed the gulls, brought in the flag, and then Teare and I enjoyed yet another stunning sunset.




Here is the sunset from the kitchen window


After the blog, I plan to read the Keeper's Logs from 1856-1914.  This has been my chief source of entertainment over the past several evenings.




All is good atop the rock.

Teare and Bill signing off from Battery Point, wishing  you a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment