Friday, September 30, 2022

Friday, September 30, 2022

Battery Point Keeper's Log


Welcome to our final blog post from Battery Point Lighthouse!

I was putting up the flag this morning and a man saw me and started into a run toward me.  At first, I did not know what to make of it.  I did not feel any threat, but wondered what he was up to.  In broken English, he asked that he have the honor of putting up the American flag.  He was of Asian American heritage.  I let him put up the flag and his face just beamed.  

We conducted tours from 9:00-10:30.  We had 20 visitors and collected $394.44 in donations and sales. 


Teare and I in front of the 166 year old Hayward & Davis "Banjo" Clock 


 We concluded our tours and were sad to say goodbye to our RV volunteers. We were very fortunate to have two volunteer tour docents who love what they do and enjoy meeting people in Cary and Millie.  Fun fact about Cary - he went to high school with Linda Ronstadt.  They have served for several years at Battery Point, and are from Tucson, AZ.



Cary Birenbaum and Millie Bentley

After morning chores, Teare organized and stocked the gift shop.  Next, we collected all donations both from inside and outside the lighthouse.  We counted it by denomination and included the totals in our official keeper's log.  

After lunch, I went around the entire property and weeded.  Next, I raked the gravel walkways.  There was a flock of small birds in the cypress tree while I worked.  I took a break and a gray seal kept tabs on me.  I took his photo, but it turned out very grainy.  Teare also took a moment to enjoy one of the nicest days we have had the entire month.

I went on to clean the tower glass and sweep steps from the tower to the first floor.  Teare mopped the entire lighthouse! 



Our 5th Order Fresnel Lens in the Tower


I vacuumed both the first and second floor.  Teare had closed the register, and was re-stocking and organizing for the next keeper's.  To prepare for this transition, we made a list to review with the next keeper's.  

As the afternoon tide subsided some folks made their way over to the lighthouse.

Here is a couple visiting from India:



After dinner, I went out to take a picture of the sunset.  I ended up meeting quite a variety of nice people.


Cary from Redding, CA


I met a wonderful couple from outside Portland, OR.  They were celebrating their 28th Wedding Anniversary.  In honor of the occasion, I invited them in to the lighthouse for a private tour.  They enjoyed their personal lighthouse and Wendy claimed it was the perfect end to their day! 





Robert and Wendy Tesulov


Tomorrow, we hand the keys over to the next keeper's, and that will do it for our 2022 stay.

Thank you for following the blog!  It has been a pleasure and an honor to care for such a special place.

We hope you have enjoyed joining us on this adventure!  

In the words of Fred the Seagull... "Muck, Muck, Muck" - which loosely translated means, God Bless until we meet again.





Keeper's Bill and Teare signing off from Battery Point Lighthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment