Thursday, September 8, 2022

 Thursday, September 8, 2022

Battery Point Lighthouse Keeper's Log


We set our alarm for 6:30 AM so we could make a visit to the mainland.  Our first stop was the local Safeway grocery store to buy items we will need for our company that is due to arrive tomorrow.  

Our next stop was Good Harvest Cafe where I enjoyed a breakfast of bacon and eggs with hash browns and Teare had sour dough french toast with cinnamon.  We parked and carried our groceries roughly three quarters of a mile to the lighthouse.

When we returned to the lighthouse, it was all hands on deck.  Teare baked brownies, a breakfast casserole and meatballs.  I swept every non-carpeted surface starting in the tower and down the steps to the bedroom and the entire ground floor.  I even swept the enclosed shed!  From there I went outside where I raked gravel that worked it's way into the grass.  This is a natural result of the slope and foot traffic.  I took breaks every so often to take in the views that surrounded me.  



Here's the front view of the lighthouse



Here are the walkways that I rake 




Here's the view that distracts me from my work!


Meanwhile, back in the lighthouse, Teare continued on her cleaning frenzy, mopping the floors and thoroughly cleaning all the shelves and trinkets in the gift shop.  

Tour time came and we had 31 visitors and collected $292.39 in donations and sales.  We had a number of visitors from Colorado.  I really enjoy asking where our guests are from.  Right after closing a 3 generation of ladies, knocked on the door hoping to get a tour because they'd be gone tomorrow.  We always try to accommodate people if the tide cooperates.  They were so appreciative and left a generous donation to the lighthouse.

Yesterday we had a couple who were really getting into the history and beauty of this place.  They lingered after the tour and wanted to know how we came to be the lighthouse keepers.  When I told them they could potentially be keepers, they were really excited.  As business owners, the couple would have the flexibility of closing for a month and serving.  I explained the duties and they were still all in.  Today, they returned during our tour hours to let me know they formally applied to be lighthouse keepers!

After the tours, I did my usual follow-up walk around to secure windows, tower hatch, and turn off lights.

We had a lot of foot traffic around the property as low tide lasted longer than normal today.  It was a sunny day, but there was quite a bit of wind which developed after noon.  This led to the National Weather Service issuance of a "Hazardous Seas Warning".  Temperatures peaked out in the low 60's with a low expected at 55 degrees over night.

As I conclude, we are still working on the interior of the lighthouse at 8:45 PM.  I just finished vacuuming and Teare has more floors to mop.

I realize those of you in the east will not see this until tomorrow.  

The seas are rough and the winds are raging.

This is Keeper Reedy signing off for the night.




No comments:

Post a Comment