Monday, September 5, 2022

 Monday, September 5, 2022

Battery Point Lighthouse Keeper's Log


The morning was very foggy.  You could not see the surf 60 feet below, but you can ALWAYs hear it crashing against the rocks.   

I was surprised to see three early morning visitors from the San Francisco Bay area.  We chatted and I gave them a private tour.  They were great guys and very appreciative.


Teare and I actually left the lighthouse property this morning for the first time in five days.  This was to drop off garbage, recycle, drop mail at the Post Office and scout out potential hiking spots for future visitors. We only had an hour, so we had to make the most of our limited time. 


Teare crossing the tidal basin on the pipe this morning!


Within an hour we were back in the lighthouse preparing for our tours.  We were only open for an hour today from 12:30-1:30.  Teare and I were in the gift shop, Millie took the parlor and Cary handled the bedrooms and tower.  Just before 1:30, we decided to give a personal tour, letting the last group know that they might get their feet wet on the way off the island. Millie and Cary had left while the tidal basin was still passable.  We had 36 visitors and collected $301.17 in donations and sales.


After lunch, I went to work on the grounds of the lighthouse.  First I raked the gravel walkways and then watered the grass in the front yard.  Teare swept the concrete surfaces while I raked.


                                         

Looking down the gravel walkway


While Bill was raking, Fred and Janice flew in for their nightly meal. Up until this time I thought Bill was a little loco when he talked to the seagulls. But to my surprise, I heard Fred and Janice speaking the same language as Bill had when he called them to dinner.  "Muck, muck" is what they were saying. In seagull, that means, "feed me now I'm hungry."  In Bill's language it means, "come and get it!" I still think he's a little loco, but that's another story. Teare


After a busy day at the lighthouse, we're signing off so we can get outside and watch another beautiful sunset. Bill & Teare


No comments:

Post a Comment