Monday, June 20, 2016

Keeper’s Log Battery Point Lighthouse June 20

Brett and Betsy are back in Redding, Father’s Day weekend is over and it is time to get back to the business of lighthouse keeping.

After breakfast I cleaned the interior glass of the lighthouse tower.  In the kerosine era, the tower was referred to as the lantern room.  I fed Fred, the seagull, and as a show of thanks, he once again pulled grass and brought it to the picnic table where we usually have our conversations and dropped it on the ground.  Not sure we need nesting material, but I appreciated the gesture!  

Teare and I tore down the beds and then remade them after the laundry was done.  We tidied up for the tour day, and local volunteer, Sharon, was here by 9:00.  Sharon and I led tours for over two hours while Teare manned the gift shop and played tour control with the new arrivees.
The original 10-11 tour day turned into 9-12 simply because the tide permitted it and we were happy to do it.  Teare balanced the drawer and our tour day was over.

In the afternoon, I did some writing and Teare did some shopping and stopped by the Historical Society Museum for more gift store merchandise.  We had dinner and I decided to fit in a walk.  I visited with a woman from Frankfort, Germany and continued on my way.   As I was down by the beach, a car pulled up and a lady asked me if what she was looking at were sea lions.  I explained they were the structures put up to reduce the energy of violent waves.  I did tell her where she could always see sea lions.  She went on to say in a very excited voice that her husband and her had driven from Minnesota and this was the very first time they had ever laid eyes on the ocean.  Then she asked to verify that this was the ocean, I confirmed it.  It was fun to see the excitement in her face and she just wanted to share the experience.  I invited them to the lighthouse tomorrow for a tour and provided directions to the closest redwood grove only 10 minutes away.  Off they drove with my directions in hand while there was still daylight…so much for my walk before dinner…  

After dinner, I dropped off the garbage and drove to Safeway to get a dog treat for the Schmidt’s dog, Ben, who we will be visiting tomorrow.  On the way back to the lighthosue, I encountered a family from Wisconsin.  When I told them I was the keeper, they wanted a personal tour.  They had no idea the tide basin was already filling with water.   When I explained this to them, they were less interested in the tour and more interested in getting off the island!   The Ohio State fan in me saw them scrambling like scared Badgers… 


Back in the lighthouse, I reset the spotlight timer, since daylight is lasting longer.  Today was return to duty day.  That said, it was a very good day.  We were able to live in a lighthouse and we had our personal island in the Pacific once again.  Where else can you meet a lot of new people who are in good spirits because they are on vacation or locals just enjoying the beauty of the surroundings?   Take care and a good night to all!   



No comments:

Post a Comment