Monday, June 27, 2016

Keeper’s Log Battery Point Lighthouse June 27

It was overcast and foggy this morning.  Visability improved over time but was still limited by the end of the tour day.  We conducted tours from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM today.  Teare made us both a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and threw in some pretzels and I took that to the tower with me with a half full bottle of water.  A tour bus dropped off 50 tourists at 9:30 this morning, so Bill & Gretchen hit the ground running as they arrived.  Bill went out to the front steps and did a makeshift presentation for the group as there was no way we could get the entire group through the lighthouse with the time they had on this brief stop.  The rest of the tours went well and we had 87 guests and collected over $300.00 in donations and gift shop receipts.  

Fortunately I had fed both Ginger and Fred, (our resident sea gulls) before the wave of tourists arrived!  We had time to close up the lighthouse and get off the point prior to high tide.  Now on the mainland, we will not be able to return to the point until approximately 10:00 PM tonight if the tide schedules are accurate.

It is quite unusual that I record events before they occur, however, given the tide scenario I described, it will be too late tonight to do so.  As I write, I am in the Crescent City Starbucks because you can always count on Starbucks to have good WIFI!  In a few minutes we will be meeting Bill and Gretchen Schmidt for pizza and beverages at the local microbrew known as Port O’ Pint.  There, we will teach them how to play FIVE CROWNS card game.  This is a favorite of Teare and I ever since Hal and Barb Gerspacher taught us to play.  Afterwards, it will be late, as I mentioned, and there will not be much more to report anyway!   

I want to wish dear friend Dan Hunter a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today.  Dan is a musician and writer in addition to being an insurance agent.  We share books and music suggestions with one another.  It has been that way since high school.  Not only is Dan my original guitar mentor, but he continues to inspire me with his writing.  Friend Andy Platz indicated that this lighthouse experience should be inspirational and I should be inspired.  I have been.   So here’s to you Hunts!



The Fog Within


I look out over the sea
but can only see so far.

The fog keeps me from seeing
-the distant horizon
-the rocks nearby,
and the other lighthouse further up the coast.

I can not see the whales in the channel
but I know they are sometimes there.

I can not see a single ship
but they must be out there.

I can only see what the fog permits


At some point the skies will clear…
…but what invisible mist will I carry with me?

-that will keep me from seeing the possibilities
that are just beyond the fog.



wvr  6/6/16


Have a great day everyone!


Bill

3 comments:

  1. Wow! The month is almost over! What a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how fast the time has gone!! I'm glad everything has gone smoothly. Fred will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill and Teare, Your pictures and writing has been beautiful. I am happy for you and wish you safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete