Sunday, June 19, 2016

Keeper’s Log Battery Point Lighthouse June 18

Thanks for your understanding of the break in the log for Fathers Day weekend.  Here is a recap:

Betsy and Brett arrived early but the tide would not permit them to cross to the point at 1:00 AM.  As I walked down the gravel path in the darkness, I shined my flashlight ahead.  To  my surprise, a skunk was glaring back at me!  Fortunately, he turned and ran.  His tail was up the entire way, but at least he was moving away from me and he did not discharge….  I proceeded down the path with a higher sense of awareness, my little flashlight sweeping any possible stopping point of my new acquaintance… I did not see him, but was disappointed to see the tide was still in which meant Brett and Betsy had to wait it out in their car after their four and a half hour drive over the mountains to get here.  I walked back to the radio room and leaned back on the couch for that next hour, but did not get any sleep.  When the phone rang again, I repeated my steps to the tidal basin and this time we were able to get B & B to the lighthouse….minus any critter encounters.

Teare made two egg souffles for breakfast.  We showed them around and then all drove up to Brookings, Oregon and  the Loeb State Redwood Park trail we had done the day earlier.  It was a perfect day for a hike.  Since it had rained overnight, the waterfall was better than the day before.  We enjoyed our hike and it was so good to have them with us!  

We stopped for sandwiches and drove north on CA Hwy. 101 to The Sam Boardman Park.  Here we did the Thunder Rock Loop and Beach Trail.  We stopped for a picnic lunch on the point of the cliff and we were blessed with another sunny day.  We explored the cliffs and waterfall, but unlike our prior visit, we went all the way down the trail to the beach this time.  This is a gorgeous sandy beach nestled in a rock encased cove and cliffs which rise from the beach to the beautiful green of the pines above.  They call it “secret beach” and when you are there, you have the sense that it is, indeed, your secret beach.  We walked it from end to end, then made the long climb back up the hill to the car.   We enjoyed the trail and the company.






We drove back to Crescent City and had dinner at The Chart Room Seafood Restaurant.  Betsy and I split the seafood linguini with mushroom sauce.  Teare and Brett had seafood combos.  The meal was tasty and the good news is we made it back to the lighthouse just as the first small streams of water were seaking the other side of the tidal basin.  We saw some beautiful starfish which the ocean had left behind in a tide pool.




We played euchre.  Not going to say who won, but Teare and I were satisfied with the outcome… ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment