Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Keeper’s Log Battery Point Lighthouse June 28

Since our first tour was not until 11:00, we had a more relaxed morning.  I fed our pet gulls, and completed one of our exit tasks.  Namely, ensure the gas cans are full for the next keeper.  I emptied the current can into the ATV and mower and filled it along with our car for our trip to Eugene, Oregon.  While at the gas station, I saw the father of a family from Utah and he expressed his thanks for the tour.  I remembered he had three little girls.  As I walked to my car, I heard my name called and it was the girls excited to see the lighthouse keeper that they knew.  This is just one of many interactions I will recall with fond memories.  With three days remaining, we have identified what we need to do to transition and now this list was one task shorter.  

Volunteers Bill and Gretchen were here a little before 11:00.  We were open until 2:30 and at the last minute a couple came in and the guy begged to go to the tower.  He claimed that he wanted to propose to his girlfriend.  I followed them up and they wanted me to be with them (probably for photo taking).  In any case, I was witness to a proposal in the tower today!    

I took a little rest after the tours as this involves being on your feet  and speaking the entire time.  I find it is nice to just sit in a quiet room for a while after these sessions.  Afterwards, I mowed the entire grounds.   From time to time I would take a short break and just look around and soak in the views.  Where else are you mowing grass on a cliff overlooking the ocean while pelicans glide by at eye level?!? I took a break and placed a couple model ships on the rocks or picnic table and shot photos of them as if they were ships at sea.  Below is one of those photos.  Teare moped all floors that needed it, including the second floor bathroom.  She also did a lot of laundry.  

We had dinner and it was back to work.  I went out and weed-whacked everything I could not access with a mower and Teare continued to clean inside.  Whew!  When all was done, we sat on the bench on the high point of the island and watched the sun go down.  Who should come along and join us for the sun set?  FRED!   He just hung with us!   It was a beautiful sun set.  We had worked our tails off today.  I asked if she thought it was worth it and without hesitation we both said “YES”!   

Well friends, we are down to our final two full days at the lighthouse.  As you can see from today’s events, they are not days filled just looking out over the ocean or strolling the redwoods.  At the same time, our days have been filled with such simple pleasures.  Some of our best friends are sea gulls.  Some of our best moments are just in being observant of our surroundings.  The people we have met have been a pleasure to know.  The families have been respectful and appreciative. Today a lady went out of her way to tell me that this was the best lighthouse tour she has ever been on.  She went on to say that lighthouse tours are her hobby and she has visited every lighthouse on the Oregon coast.  I call that out just as an example of the kind of appreciation we have experienced.


My last task of the day was this log.  I wish everyone a great night/day!





3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you at the incoming tide. I enjoyed meeting a real lighthouse keeper! ☺️You have an engaging personality..

    We are going to wade in Crater Lake tomorrow..


    ReplyDelete
  2. That ship photo is impressive!

    I sure did enjoy reading about the adventure through the blog! Enjoy every moment of your last day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ship photo is impressive!

    I sure did enjoy reading about the adventure through the blog! Enjoy every moment of your last day :)

    ReplyDelete