Friday, June 3, 2016

Friday June 3 Battery Point Lighthouse Day 3

We awoke to morning fog which burned off by 10:00 AM. While we ate breakfast, Fred the seagull was staring at me as if to say Forgetting Something?!?... so I took my little tin cup with cat food outside...  Fred gobbled his food down like it was the last meal he would ever eat.  My next order of business was to check the width of the walkway.  I noticed there was something not far behind me…here came Fred waddling along behind me and as I stopped to look down over the path, Fred went to higher ground, turned his back to me and did the same!  It was as if he was helping me! 



The colored water barometer in the parlor showed steady, clear weather.  Since the tide was not due to be in for another forty five minutes, I walked up to the Ocean Front Lodge, a nearby hotel, to mail some cards.  While there, I also checked on our car which is parked there.  On the way back, I provided warnings to a few folks that their window to leave the lighthouse grounds was beginning to close.  Many of those people have no idea since they are not from the area.



Once back at the Lighthouse and after it became an island once more, it was time to catch up on some writing.  Teare and I had lunch on the picnic table outside the kitchen.  While eating our lunch, we spotted grey whales swimming and blowing their spouts as they made their way past the lighthouse and further out to sea.




Sharon, a local volunteer, came out a little before 3:00 PM and we became acquainted.  We determined how we would divide the tours and opened the doors.  Despite the fact that the tour schedule was only 3-4 today, the last tour ran late and we did not finish until closer to 5.  It is really difficult to move people efficiently through narrow spiral staircases and up and down a ladder in the lighthouse tower.  We had a group of young people who had attended Simpson University in Redding - the same school as our son-in-law, Brett.  One of them was a young man from Boliver, Ohio.  During that time, we hosted 37 guests and received $137.00 in donations.  Teare had a nice balanced register at the end of the day, so everyone felt like the tour portion of the day was a success.    

Teare and I went for a walk before dinner on the fishing pier.  We noticed a large octopus had washed ashore at the walkway.  Just like everyone else, we paused to look at it.  Many of the fishermen off the pier were using traps as opposed to poles. 




As we finished dinner, we noticed more whales.  We believe them to be California Grey Whales.  Afterward, I fed Ginger and I believe the two younger gulls may belong to Fred and Ginger.  They are both old enough to fly, but I noticed they still return to the same spot and Ginger appears to be on the lookout.  

As the evening tide approached, I once again made my rounds and recommended that people not chance the crossing over rocks that remain unseen under the water.   An island once more, Teare and I went up to the old water tower remains to view the sunset.

  

We feel we are starting to get into a rhythm on the rock and part of that is in the anticipation of when you can be outside and when you need to “mind the store”.   The Lighthouse is closed all day tomorrow and we know we have more chores to do…


We are closing the day writing a few notes.  We hope everyone has a great weekend! 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment