Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Keeper's Log Wednesday, September 5

Welcome Back!  Special welcome to Facebook friends who may be tuning in for the first time!  We have enjoyed the responses and comments and one recurring thought is how we wish we could share this experience with everyone.

Today was a work day.  We started the day with normal morning chores (flag raising, seagull feeding, walk sweeping).  For those of you who are new to the blog, we have two seagull pets; Fred and Janice.  It is actually part of the job here to feed the gulls and there is a supply of cat food in the entry room.

While walking around the point, looking for garbage to pick up, I heard the familiar bark of sea lions.... This should be under the caption of "Things you don't see in Seville"...  Two sea lions were swimming side by side and headed for the jetty.  As I was sweeping down the walk close to the water, I just looked up at a gray seal bobbing in the surf who was just watching me work!  That will teach me to leave my phone/camera at the lighthouse!  Next, I weed whacked the entire grounds where I could not mow yesterday.   

It was an overcast and cool day (high 50's).  I am never quite sure if it is overcast or just extremely foggy...but today, it never quite burned off and was actually cloudy. As I write and look out over the ocean, it is also foggy.  This is a good night for the fog horn to be working!  

After breakfast, I cleaned the tower glass and took out all the cob webs and spider webs around the top of the tower.  Today there were also more pelicans in the area and the largest crows I have ever seen.  Teare prepped the gift shop with inventory and fired up the register.  She also swept the steps in preparation for our day of tours.  We had an early lunch and did tours from 1-3 PM with Fred and Jill, our excellent tour guide volunteers.  Teare ran the gift shop, Jill presented in the parlor, I took the second floor and (non-feathered) Fred led in the tower.  Teare commented on how friendly the guests were and I would have to agree.  We had happy and interested visitors today.  We had a total of 49 visitors and raised a total of $358.13 in donations and sales.  

The tide returned and once again our rocky outpost is an island.  I am enclosing a photo to show what that looks like from the top of the rock.  We enjoyed the last of Betsy's homemade lasagna, and I had to look no further than to the entry screen door to see Fred (the gull) standing as if to say "Hello?"  "How about dinner!?"...photo below.  I took down the flag and took a photo of the "sunset"...but note that there is no sun due to the clouds and fog.  Friend George Chambers, professional photographer, suggested I take a photo from the same place every day at the same time, so I chose our sunset photos.  

Teare and I took down the large curtains from the parlor and washed and rehung them.  They look fresh and clean as if they were brand new.  If you wondered to yourself "What do lighthouse keepers do all day, I hope this provides some helpful insight!  I will read a little and then call it a day.  Thanks for joining us.  This is Keeper Reedy signing off from a cool, foggy Battery Point Lighthouse.  Good Night. 



                                         The tide covers the path to the lighthouse.



                                                     Forgetting Something?!?



                                                    Sunset at the normal time!

No comments:

Post a Comment