Thursday, September 13, 2018

Keepers Log Thursday, September 13

This day started clear and stayed that way all day!  It was a magnificent day full of sun and blue skies.  As I was sweeping down by the tidal basin, I noticed this person walking on the jetty, apparently feeding the birds.  Look closely at all the birds!  I imagine this is a regular occurrence.  I dubbed this person "Pied Piper of the Jetty".



We conducted tours between 10 and 11:00 AM.  In that hour we showed the lighthouse to 24 guests and collected $177 in donations and sales.  Fred and Jill did not have to scramble to get back across the basin today!

It was such a beautiful day, Teare and I took a moment to just lay in the sun.  Here is what we saw:


Afterward, I weed wacked the entire property!  If the grounds needed a haircut, then I was the Barber of Seville!   I did this from 3-5 PM!  



As I finished my work, guess who should be waiting for me back up at the side door to the lighthouse?  As you can see, both are quite comfortable with me.  Fred is posing for the picture, and Janice is doing what she does best....talking!



Here are a couple other interesting items you will find on the grounds here at Battery Point.  First, here is a photo of the work shop for the lighthouse station, also called the boat house.  It was built in two sections in 1903 and 1908.  Captain Jeffrey, longest serving lighthouse keeper, (39 years starting in 1875) stored a boat in there to ferry his kids back and forth to school if the tide was in.  It continues to be used as our work shop.


When we present our tours in our Piland bedroom, we always point out the chamber pot which sits at the foot of the bed.  We make a point that the lighthouse pre-dated indoor plumbing, and that the outhouse was perched on the rocks and would have been hazardous to get to in the dark and/or stormy nights.  Here is a photo of where the outhouse used to be.  Note the white paint on the top of the rock where it once stood!



After dinner, I walked to the grocery store to get a few things.  Teare joined me on the way back.  We watched the sunset surrounded by several visitors. 


Our thoughts and prayers are with those in the path of Hurricane Florence.  
This is keeper Bill signing off from a dark and quiet Battery Point.  Good Night.








1 comment: