Thursday, September 20, 2018

Keepers Log Thursday, September 20

It was yet another sunny, clear and cool morning.  I did my morning chores.  Fred (the sea gull) was there to help me put up the flag and later at night he was there to help me take it down.  Thanks for you help, Fred!  I swept the walk before breakfast.  After breakfast, I took a rake out and raked the gravel which had worked it's way into the grass.  In other areas, I smoothed it out.  Most of the walkways around the lighthouse are gravel.   The front steps and the long walkway ramp which leads up from the tidal basin are concrete, and this is what I sweep.  In any case, it was just a pleasure to be outside.  We had a high of 63 degrees and 10 mile visibility.  

Inside, Teare wiped down the furniture and artifacts in the Piland bedroom.  She also cleaned the window sills and windows.  We also changed the bedding.   I cleaned the floors in the radio room, hallway, downstairs bath, and hallway to the attached shed.  I also vacuumed each of these areas.

After our work was complete, Teare and I both went out and soaked in the sun a little before lunch and final clean up before the tours.  We conducted tours from 2-4:00 PM today.  Fred was in the tower, Bill in the bedrooms, Jill in the parlor, and Teare in the gift shop.  We had 38 guests and realized $308.89 in donations and sales.  

After dinner, I took down the flag and fed the gulls.  I took this photo of the sunset.  Our pet gulls were right there with us!  Here is a photo Pete Schwanke took of the lighthouse a few days ago along with tonight's sunset.




Finally, let's end this blog with a very happy note.  We do not watch much television here, but the Browns game was being televised on National TV via the NFL network, which we can receive at the lighthouse.  Teare and I watched the game.  Most Northeast Ohioans and Browns fans know how that turned out, with the Browns winning their first game since Christmas Eve, 2016 (624 days, but who's counting?!).  Anyway, it is somewhat of a historic night.  I made sure to sit in a special chair to watch the game...the same chair I sat in two years ago in June when the Cavs won the NBA Championship during our last stay at the lighthouse in June, 2016.  If I could, I would carry this chair with me on the plane back to Cleveland...  We just aren't lighthouse keepers often enough!   On this happy note, I wish you all a good night.  Two Browns fans happily calling it a day at Battery Point!




No comments:

Post a Comment