Sunday, September 9, 2018

Keepers Log Sunday, September 9, 2018

Thanks to Teare for filling in for me in writing the blog yesterday!  I thought our readers might enjoy a fresh perspective and better grammar for a change!  I think Teare readily agreed to fill in so I would not provide my version of the alarm story!  I thought she did a great job!

Today was very relaxed as a Sunday should be.  There was plenty of time before our tour, which provided the opportunity to do our chores and listen in on the Cleveland Browns game over NFL Radio.  What a wacky game that turned out to be!  A 21-21 overtime tie with the Steelers.  It is a little different listening to the game at 10:00 AM instead of the usual 1:00 PM, but it does free up the rest of the day, which we used to get ready for tours.   Teare swept the stairs from the tower to the parlor.  Then she swept from the gift shop to the kitchen and through the radio room to the side door.   I carefully wound the 1856 Banjo Clock and spruced up both inside and out.  

Our tour were supposed to begin promptly at 3:00.  Here is a photo of the tidal basin at 2:45:


As you can understand, we did not get started until 3:20 due to the tides!  No one seemed to care and we stayed a little beyond our normal closing time to accommodate as many guests as possible.  Teare worked the gift shop, Jill led tours in the parlor, Fred oversaw the tower, and I took the bedrooms today.  We had 322 guests and collected $322.37 in donations and sales.  Thanks again to Fred and Jill Battaglia for their great work with the tours.



                                                 Fred & Jill

After dinner I went out to make my evening walk and take down the flag.  I ran into a couple of guys from Quebec Province, Canada and a birder from Mount Pleasant, Michigan.  You just never know who you might see or where they may be from up on the rock.

The sunset was not a classic version, but then the clouds always add their own flavor to the visual smogasbord that is Battery Point.



I wish you all a good night.  This is Bill signing off from Battery Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment