Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Keepers Log Wednesday, September 19, 2018

For the past two days, we have been closed for public tours.  The tides contribute, but also, the keepers and volunteers can have some down time.  Teare and I took advantage of that down time with our walk to lunch, grocery shopping, and reading over the past couple days.  Well, that all changed bright and early this morning, and we planned it that way.  Today was a designated work day.  We began with the usual chores of flag raising, sweeping and normal cleaning.  I fed the gulls as usual, and picked up a few items of trash around the property.  Next, I swept the tower, and the tower steps from the tower to the parlor.  Next, we fixed a curtain rod bracket in the keeper's bedroom.  It was a beautiful sunny day, so the next job of cleaning all tower glass both inside and out was as much of a pleasure as glass cleaning can be...  There are few views better than from Battery Point tower on a clear day.  Here are a few shots from the the tower in various directions.






Today, one could clearly see the St. George Reef Lighthouse in the distance some 6-7 miles away.  The weather app advised visibility at 10 miles today.  It was windy all day, with winds of 18 miles per hour, sustained, for much of the afternoon.  Meanwhile, Teare was hard at work cleaning the window sills in the keeper's bedroom as well as washing the curtains and doilies.  She also wiped down the furniture and I emptied the bucket of ashes from the pot belly stove from former inhabitants.  She also cleaned the window blinds in the radio room, cleaned the furniture with Murphy's oil and scrubbed the floor in the bathroom. 

We conducted tours today from 2-4:00.  It was supposed to be 2-3:30, but Teare did not have the heart to turn an entire group away, especially those who traveled great distances to get here.  Teare worked the gift shop, Jill took the parlor, Fred had the bedrooms, and I manned the tower.  In total, we had 51 guests and collected $326 in donations and sales.  

After the tours were over and Fred and Jill had departed, we heard someone ringing the bell outside the side door.  It was a couple who identified themselves as former lighthouse keepers here at Battery Point.  The couple introduced themselves as Steve and Dee Dee Salzman from Sparks, Nevada.  We invited them in and it was fun to visit with fellow keepers and share experiences.

Once Steve and Dee Dee left, it was time to play sheep dog.  This is where I roam about and warn visitors that the tide is returning and time is short to depart safely and dry.  At one point, I sat down on the bench near the flag pole.  I no sooner sat down and there was Fred the sea gull just hanging out with me.  It was obvious I did not have food, but he was just keeping me company.  I never would have imagined that a sea gull could be so social!  I encountered two very nice couples.  Both couples were from Germany and they were not together!  I spoke a little with each couple in English and auf Deutsch (in German).  Soon, we had the island to ourselves and sat down to a nice penne pasta dinner with salad.  

I fed Fred who was already waiting outside the side door.  I had to call Janice in from a distant rock.  Both gulls came and ate the cat food I laid out for them.  Teare and I watched the sunset, a nightly ritual, and I took down the flag.  We folded the flag and then I went to work on this blog.  Speaking of the blog, we hope you are enjoying our account of this year's stay at Battery Point.  We feel very blessed and fortunate to be here.  

Until tomorrow, may the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.  (Old Irish Blessing)  Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment